God’s Name: God of Hope
Theos Elpis (Greek)
Excerpted from The Surprising Joy of Exploring God’s Heart
A Daily Adventure with 365 of His Names
© 2011 Relationship Resources, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him,
so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Steps on Your Journey to Know God More Intimately:
- Theos is the Greek word for God, meaning a deity and the supreme divinity. Elpismeans hope, expectation, anticipation and confidence. Hope is not wishful thinking. Instead it is a confidence and an expectation that what we desire willhappen. Think about what it means that God is the God of Hope.
- How does God, being the God of Hope, impact your life today?
- In what areas do you need more hope?
- Ask the Lord to reveal more of Himself to you today as you focus on Him.
- After my fiancé was killed on his motorcycle, I lost hope. Up until I met him, most of my life had been difficult. Then finally I had something to anticipate. When he died, I gave up. I didn’t want to keep living. Over time, God showed me that He was my hope and I could rely on Him. The tears kept falling, but I was no longer sobbing uncontrollably.
- So many people around us are lacking hope in their lives. How can you bring hope to others? One way is to give examples of times when you had lost hope and God answered you in an unusual way.
A Prayer for You:
God of Hope, thank You for the hope You bring to my life, when all around me people have very little hope. Help me to know You more and as a result discover more hope in my life and spread it to those around me.
Evelyn Sherwood, Ministry Leader, Minister’s Wife, Mom and Grandma said about The Surprising Joy of Exploring God’s Heart:
“Having been a follower of Christ from a young age and then surrendering to ministry as a teenager, I have often found myself in “desert places”. Through those dry times, God has always been faithful to water my soul in unexpected ways. ”The Surprising Joy of Exploring God’s Heart” has been one of those surprises. God has used this book to lovingly bring hope and refreshing back into my heart and home. Through the easy to read format, heartfelt prayers and pointed questions, I have slowed down enough to fix my gaze upon the All-sufficient One. What joy to rest in His presence.”